Children’s Blood Tests
At Childhealthy we believe in the value of regular health checks and health surveillance for children of all ages. We can arrange private diagnostic tests for children of all ages. Tests include blood tests and microbiology samples including urine, stool, throat and nose swabs.
Arranging blood or other diagnostic tests with Childhealthy is easy:
There are two options for arranging tests with Childhealthy.
- With an appointment to see a doctor: The tests will be requested as part of an appointment in clinic or by remote consultation. Fees for tests are additional to the appointment fee.
- Without an appointment: Parents already know which tests they would like from consultation with their own doctor or other specialist or would like to choose a Childhealthy blood test profile. Fees are for tests only, but do not include a medical assessment.
Families then make their own arrangements to discuss the test results with a medical professional.
If you would like to arrange a blood test for your child or would like further information please contact us or visit the how to book a blood test section.
Blood tests with Childhealthy
Test recommended by Childhealthy Doctor:
- Book an appointment via our website or by phoning us, to see a doctor
- Meet with your child’s consultant, either in person, or remotely
- At this stage, the consultant may see fit that a blood test is required for your child, and will request this.
- Your child will then be able to attend an appointment to undergo the testing, either on location at hospital, or at The Doctors Laboratory.
- Once testing has been completed, a follow-up consultation will be organised to discuss the results. This can be completed on location, or remotely.
Test without appointment:
If you are looking to get a blood test for your child - whether for specific individual tests or a general diagnostic test, this is how that process will look for you:
- Book a blood test-only appointment online, selecting the blood test option The fee payable at this time is for phlebotomy and administration.
- At this point, you will be prompted to pay an admin fee
- Following this, we will log your request for a test, and we will contact you, confirming the full cost of the test.
- Once the fee is confirmed, we will then request a test on your child’s behalf.
- Once the test has been confirmed, you may visit The Doctors Laboratory at the following address, no appointment is needed
- Attend the testing date, and then you will receive an invoice for the remainder iof the fees, pay the outstanding amount, and the results will be forwarded to you - including any notes relevant to the test.
What Is A Blood Test?
A blood test is a laboratory examination of a blood sample. A small needle takes the blood sample from a vein in the arm. The needle is attached to a syringe that collects the blood, so it is ready to be sent off to the lab. Although a needle sounds scary for some, do not worry. The needle is thin, and your child will only feel a slight scratching sensation as it is inserted. Some will not feel a thing at all. Blood tests can be taken from any age from birth onwards, and numbing cream, cold sprays, and distraction can all be used to make the process as comfortable as possible.
Blood tests allow medical professionals to keep track of your child's overall physical health and well-being. The results of a blood test can show whether your child is suffering from an infection or a medical condition. With this knowledge, medical professionals can work quickly to treat and manage your child’s condition.
What Does A Blood Test Show?
A blood test is carried out for several reasons. It shows doctors whether your child is suffering from any:
- Underlying medical conditions such as coeliac disease and diabetes
- Vitamin and iron deficiencies
They also give doctors an overview of your child's general state of health. A range of different blood tests exist, and they all show different things. For example, some blood tests will show medical professionals how well your child's organs are functioning, while others will check important factors like glucose levels.
How Does A Blood Test Work?
Before we discuss how the test works, here are some tips parents can use to ease their child's concerns before a blood test.
Firstly, you should inform them about the test. Often, going into the unknown can be scary for your child. Speak positively about the test to ensure them that it is a good thing. Make sure they are also hydrated. The more water your child drinks, the easier it will be for the technicians to collect the blood sample.
If your child requires a numbing spray or cream, this will be provided and applied by the technician. The technician will then squeeze the arm or apply a tourniquet. This device applies a small amount of pressure to your child's arm to stop the blood flow. This makes it easier for the sample to be taken. A needle is then inserted into the vein, and the sample is taken. Once the needle is removed, cotton wool will compress the wound. This will prevent any further bleeding. Parents can help their children feel relaxed throughout the test by distracting them. Make them feel calm and start a conversation about a different topic to take their mind off things.
How Long Do Blood Test Results Take?
The waiting time for blood test results will depend on the type of test that your child has. In general, most results are ready within 72 hours. However, some tests, such as cantake as long as 2-3 weeks.
Doctors will critically review the results and decide on the best course of action for your child. In addition to the results, we will include a covering letter that outlines the next steps.
How To Book A Blood Test
If you are concerned that your child may be suffering from an underlying health issue, or you would like the peace of mind that their general health is in good condition, you can book a blood test with Childhealthy today. Please note that a blood test may also be requested as part of a consultation with one of our paediatricians.
If you know which blood test your child requires and you do not need a consultation, you can book a test through our online booking portal. All blood tests will be carried out at The Doctors Laboratory.
Get in touch with Childhealthy
Our team at Childhealthy has your child's best interests at heart. We have worked with young children for many years and have the experience to help your child feel at ease. If you would like to know more about the services we provide, don't hesitate to book an appointment via our website.
Book your appointment
Clinic, remote appointments and home visits are available daily.
We can always find a time to suit you, so please do ask if you are having difficulty finding a suitable time.